Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Jamaican BBQ

Saturday I got on the train. I was heading to the Bronx for a Jamaican BBQ fundraiser. It was crowded as usual. There was a young African American couple standing in front of me. I would say they were in their mind to late 20's. He was a very dark skinned, skinny, tall man, with locks in his hair, that ran down his back. He had on dark sunglasses. They were outlined in white. It was 9PM at night, so I guess he put them on for a certain effect. It came across as stupid to me. Although he sounds attractive, he was not. His girlfriend was Carmel complexioned with a medium build. It didn't seem like she would be with a guy like this, but at the same time she seemed a little confused. It was about 88 degrees outside, and she had on a fitted, long sleeve, sweater and a pair of leg high, moccasin boots, with a short skirt. I thought that was odd, since I had on a top that had all of my arms and back out and I was sweating like a pig in heat. A seat opened up, and instead of the man offering the seat to his girlfriend; he ran and sat down in it. People were looking at her and him. I'm sure they were thinking the same thing I was. "NO he didn't! Your a pretty girl. You don't have to be with a man that looks like that, and is going to treat you like this. Hmm... you must have self esteem issues?" She looked at him with a scowl on her face, and she looked at us in embarrassment.

It amazes me sometimes. We as single women want to have a male companion soo bad. That we compromise ourselves, and let men disrespect us just so we don't have to be lonely. We have to SNAP out of it! It really is NOT that serious. If you end up in such a situation you have to come to a realization that this is someone that you should NOT and probably had no business being with in the first place. I'm speaking from experience! Trust me you don't have to settle. There are plenty of men out there.

Still on the train. Anxious to reach my destination. I haven't been this deep in the Bronx before. I sat there and wonder why does there always have to be some retarded person on the train? I don't mean that in a actual sense, but I do know the answer. It's New York! There are so many damn people, ain't no way they would all be normal! This African girl got on the train. She bumped hard into the water bottle I had in my hand. She didn't even try to say excuse me. I looked at her in disgust as she sat down next to me. That's when I noticed she was drunk. God is so good. Part of me wanted to yell at her, but the Lord held my tongue. No telling how that would have turned out, especially since I was PMS'n! Her guy friend moved her away from me. Good thing, because I don't want to become as rude as 75% of the New York population.

I'm finally at my destination, and I had a wonderful time. I have realized that we as Americans really don't know how to throw a Party. In Addition to island men seem to know how to be gentlemen much better than American men! I paid for my ticket which included a plate of BBQ and a beverage. They had top shelf liquor that you could purchase along with various Jamaican desserts. If I would have waited I wouldn't of had to pay for anything. I had men getting me drinks and food all night long.

Although island men are courteous they still can be snakes. My friend later informed me that one of my suitors was married. Shocked as hell I called him on it. Names aren't important here. As the tall, dark, gentlemen asked me if he could get me another drink, I asked him "how would your wife feel about you getting me a drink?" "HUH?"he said. "You heard me." I said. "Uuhh, I was going to tell you. I would have told you." he said. I just laughed at him. He had to know I didn't believe a word he was saying. I thanked him for the drinks and kept it moving! That is a world of craziness. That I don't have anytime for! Do you know he still had the nerve to approach me. He asked me if he could go home with me. Of course I told him no, and yet this man tried to cock block me for the rest of the night. For those of you who don't know. Cock block means: When a person tries to prevent other people from having contact with you, other than themselves. It worked for a little while. Then I figured out how to ditch him, and I was back in the game.

Dancing, Winding, Grinding, Sweating, Eating and drinking: Malibu and Cranberry juice, three shots of Patron, and a serving of Jamaican Rum Punch later and I'm am ready to call it a night. There was an Jamaican guy that I danced with. He was about 5'7, brown skinned, wore glasses, average looking. He seemed nice enough to become acquainted with, maybe even friends, but that's it. He wanted me to stay at his place. I told him I wasn't that kind of chick. He kept telling his occupation as if that was going to change my mind. He told me more than five times that he was a pharmacist. LMAO. These men are a HOT MESS! He had four kids by the same women and claimed he wasn't married. I thanked him for walking me back to the subway and went on with my business.

I'm sure some of you have heard that you can walk down to the subway for free entertainment. It is true. I'm sitting on the train quietly, and out of no where three, young, African American boys get up and start yelling their chant and dancing. In the chant they told their ages. They were 9-10 years old. After they got done chanting, stepping and dancing, one of the boys walked the train with his hands out for donations. I had to give him something. It was kinda of cool, and you have to be pretty bold to do what they did. It hard to stand up straight on a moving train. Let alone start dancing an doing flips on the train while its moving and turning corners. When he got done collecting the money they moved to the next car. Not a bad way for youth to make some honest money, and it looked like they were really racking up.

Alright people. Until next time. Have a wonderful blessed holiday. Smooches!

2 comments:

  1. Hey DD, Hope all is well w/you in NYC. I'd love to read about your BBQ excursion, but can't because of the black font on the dark background. Can you help a girl? Have a fabulous 4th in the big city. Blessings, SusanD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I fixed it. I hope that is better. If not Please let me know. Happy Holidays;-)

    ReplyDelete