Saturday, May 21, 2011

How Have You Guys Been?

LAWD, LAWD, LAWD! My computer has been acting all the way crazy. I have missed you guys and hope this post finds you in the best of moods. With that said, I'm going to get right down to it.

Have you ever done something, and while your doing it you realize that you have truly F##KED UP! You try to change the outcome of it, but it goes by way to fast and you end up with a disaster? Well that is exactly how I felt at my last audition. I thought I had audition for a play with music, but at the callback audition I found out that I had audition for a musical. There is a BIG difference. For example: Tyler Perry theatrical presentations are plays with music. Lion King is a Musical; which is why I am a Actor/Singer not an Singer/Actor. When I was called into the room to sing, something told me to sing the song that I had sung at the 1st audition. Why I didn't listen to that little voice is beyond me.

Now I had not gotten a lot of rest the night before my call back, but I had practiced my monologues and songs through out the week. I'm not sure if it was nerves or what, but 70% of the time my songs don't come out the way I practiced them; however my monologues do. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. Note to self: I have to find a better voice teacher. My last voice lesson was disrupted by a fight amongst two males, but that is entirely another story.

I don't know what happen to me. I started to sing and I couldn't move up an octave. I stayed in low register the whole time. SMDH!! To say it was a Hot Mess would be sugar coating it. Those of you who know me know that I have an alto to tenor range. That's why I gravitate to artist such as Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill and the like. Anything bluesy or jazzed up and even old school gospel is right up my alley. I felt a knot rise in my throat and would not allow me to sing above a certain key. I had used this song in an audition before and this was my second time doing so, but I can tell you now there will not be a third!

After singing by myself. I was put into a group and we had to sing together. They had me singing soprano knowing I was a true alto. I almost passed out. I can laugh at it now, but I was not happy then. Dancing, learning choreography, dancing, sweating, singing, waiting, waiting, singing. Did I mention waiting? AUUGG, that call back lasted 7hours! What in the hell did I get myself into?

On a positive note I got to get a nice look at my cultural competition. I'm sure I will be seeing some of them again. I am also 100% sure it wont be in this production. I assume I don't have to tell I didn't get the gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment