Friday, April 8, 2011

Did You Miss Me?

It has been a while. A whole month has gone by and you haven't heard a peep from me. Soo many things have been happening, or should I say life has been really showing out. I hope this blog post finds you all in good spirits, and if not maybe it can help in lifting them.

I'm sure I have mentioned it before, but it think I have to reiterate. If you decide to work or live in the city of NYC; you relinquish all if any personal space. Rather we are young or old our animal instincts are always with us. The subway doors open. People pile out and others rush in, or race in to get a seat if there are any left. It's almost like a game, and it's funny to watch. A lady squeezed herself right down next to me and another fellow. As she inhaled and exhaled I literally felt her ribcage contract and expand. NO LIE! I could feel every breath she took because here side was touching my side. I don't think I have ever felt anyone that close to me before; not even while hugging someone. I sat there thinking to myself this is so weird. The tan, skin, woman who probably wasn't older than 45yrs looked at me. She had an expression on her face. It seemed to be saying"I know you can feel me breathing. Thanks for not tripping that I'm sitting so close."

The bus is a little better, but it takes longer to get to your destination. I can deal with the to close for comfort concept. What I hate is the rude and disrespectful behavior. If you add both of those together it makes public transportation a hassle. I was sitting on the inside seat when a African American lady whom seemed to be a few years younger than me sat her fat self down next to me. No problem there, but when it was time for me to get up for my stop she act like she didn't want to move. I said excuse me two times and she didn't budge. Finally I stood up and started moving towards her and she got up. What in the hell was her problem? I actually wanted to yell at her. Not sure what helped me to hold my tongue but I didn't make a scene. Unlike the man on the train at 12:40AM. He claimed he was a war vet who had AIDS. He asked for money or cigarettes. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but no one gave him a dime. The train comes to a stop and we all jump off. Rushing off to our own destination. Never the less none of us could ignore the Caucasian man who rushed off the train. He cursed and then loudly released a sigh of relief as he unzipped himself and pissed right there in front of us all! As I passed the conductor he just laughed and shook his head as he saw the expression on my face. The word Gross here would be a huge understatement!

I am glad to report that not all New Yorkers are rude; although there are at least 50% whom are. I think some of the rudeness is because you are always rushing around. Even when your not rushing, your rushing. Just in case you've missed it in other entries, I'll say it again. NYC is lunatic capitol. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't see or hear something abnormal. The word normal along with customer service, and home training seems to be at a lost in NYC. People here rarely use the word "Thank You, Excuse Me, or I'm Sorry" At CVS pharmacy. I politely asked the pharmacist for some assistance. She practically cussed me out. With a nasty voice she said to me she wasn't going to stop what she was doing just to help me. Oddly she wasn't really doing anything. Applaud for how the African American woman spoke to me as if it wasn't' her job to assist people. I spoke to another pharmacist who was glad to help me. Sadly you get the same experience trying to make or cancel appointments, shopping, etc. Ironically people here that have customer service jobs; consequently act like you bothering them when you say or do something that makes them have to do their job.

It can be a mean world out there, but it's nice to still get the pleasantness of the word THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment