Monday, August 9, 2010

How was your weekend?

First off anybody that knows me know I am horrible with direction. Thus forth I'm always getting lost, but I have gotten better. Little did I know, when I returned from my Birthday vacation that the subways would be closed from 145Th-89st. This was and still is very bad. So everyone that would normally get on the subway tries to pile onto a shuttle; which really is just a regular bus. Sometimes the shuttle is an extra long bus that looks like it has an accordion in the middle of it. I want you to imagine a filled bus. That's like 25-30 people right? Well now imagine a regular size bus with over 60-75 people in it. Did someone say personal space? What's that?

The bus stopped. More people got off and even more people got on. I was sitting in a single seat texting on my phone. I noticed a man walking towards me but continued to text. A few seconds later I looked slightly to my left, and noticed I had a medium sized Puerto Rican crotch staring me in the face. I was scared to look into the face of whom it belonged to because he would know that I was staring at his lower quadrant. Why did he choose to stand in front of me anyway? Couldn't he had put that package else where? Now I know what it feels like to be a midget. I could tell he was cute from his waste down. Nice pants, up to date kicks(shoes), and the way he stood he had a certain swagger about him. I had to see if his faced matched the rest of his body, so I slowly and yet quickly raised my head. Our eyes met. We stared at each other with out saying one word. "I wonder what hes thinking?" A few seconds pass and I look back down at my phone. I decide that I can't ride the entire way home like this. I got off at an earlier stop to visit a friend and got the shock of my life.

Now sitting with my friend at his shop catching up; when all of a sudden we hear a loud POP!Everybody in a 100 feet radius hit the ground.POP, POP, POP! "Was that what I think it was"? Scared and shocked at the same time. Within seconds all we could see were skinny, black, male, legs running at top speed.

My friend, lets call him Zack. He tried to tell me it was just a car back firing, but my instincts told me better. Then he tried to say it may have been fireworks. "Unnuhh. NO WAY! It was to deep sounding to be fireworks, and too loud and hard to be a car back firing." "I'm not used to guns nor do I like them but I believe that's what I just heard." I told him. "Well if that was gun fire the police will be here in a few minutes" he tells me. A few minutes pass and there are now over seven police cars and an ambulance.

That was one of the scariest moments of my life. Not to mention I hurt my arm, and my friend stepped on my leg as we all dove to the floor to take cover. We get up off the floor, and I'm in total shock. Nosey people run over to the scene of the crime. I stayed put. I began to think of how many innocent people including myself could have gotten hurt. It was a hot day, and children were outside playing and laughing everywhere. Various people shopping and walking all about. Ten minutes passed and mostly everybody went back to doing what they were doing before the shots rang out. I just thank GOD for watching over my friend and I. I still love this city, but I can't help to think about the peaceful atmosphere I just left behind. I was still basking in the memories of Jamaica and not wanting to come down from my natural high, but being in NYC sure did snap me out of that.

Well have a great week followers and readers!

2 comments:

  1. yeah city life be like that, especially here in Chicago, it seems like someone is always getting shot. i haven't really experienced gunshots that close, tho i've heard them i sometimes assume it's fireworks. good think ya'll dropped to the floor. glad ya'll are ok. i hope whoever got shot is ok too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl. Yeah that is something that I can't get used too.

    ReplyDelete